Friday, December 3, 2010

Moment

Reverb's Prompt-a-Day Blog Challenge
December 3 – Moment

Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)

I've thought about this all day, but really don't want to write about it. The moment that sticks out most in my mind took place on January 12. It was after supper, and I was driving down Harding Road, on my way to St. Thomas Hospital. Just a few minutes earlier, I had gotten a phone call from my sister-in-law telling me that my older brother had had a brain aneurysm and was in critical condition. There was nothing I could do, but I was going anyway. Support for her, support for him, but mostly because staying at home would have driven me crazy. So, there I was, gripping the steering wheel and fighting back tears so I could see to drive. Praying, no, arguing and bargaining with God to keep my brother alive. Fear filled me, then acceptance of whatever was to come. Then I went into automaton mode, where every cell of my body fought to keep my brother alive while pretending to keep me alive. I was a woman divided.

Odd, isn't it, that fear and grief are what made me feel so alive...


1 comment:

Marushka C. said...

Fear and grief jump to the front of the emotional queue ... leaving all the other "stuff" in the background. Brava to you for being brave enough to write what you needed to say here.