Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Future Self

Reverb's Prompt-a-Day Blog Challenge 

December 21 – Future Self. Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?) (Author: Jenny Blake)

I would give the same message to both my future 69-year-old self and my past 54-year-old self--this quote from Plato: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." What I have learned over the years, frequently the hard way, is that the stupid stuff other people do is brought on by their inner turmoil or distraction. Same as me. Sometimes it's easier to forgive others for their stupidity than to forgive myself. Maybe I should rephrase the quote: "Be kind to yourself, for you are fighting a hard battle just like everyone else." 

This is the first day of the Winter Solstice, the shortest day and longest night of the year. I was unable to view the eclipse of the full moon last night because of a thick cloud cover. However, I did notice how brightly backlit the clouds were until the eclipse began; then it was significantly darker. I fell asleep before the moon was completely covered.

Already I feel the excitement of anticipation as the new year begins to unfold. I expect this to be a year of great learning and growth for me. It's winter, and, like the great oak trees in our front yard, I'm sending my roots deep into the earth so I can stay anchored and strong in times of adversity. In the darkness, light begins to grow.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."--Albert Camus

2 comments:

ginger said...

I LOVE that quote AND the revision!!
I am going to copy it and hold it close to my heart and my soul!! Thank you!!

Marushka C. said...

What Ginger said :-)

I love the Camus quote, too. It's posted on the wall behind me. (Perhaps I should move it in front of me so I can see it when I really need it?) Merry Christmas, #1D.