Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Defining Moment

Reverb's Prompt-a-Day Blog Challenge

December 29 – Defining Moment. Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year. (Author: Kathryn Fitzmaurice)

The phone call came on January 12 around 4:00 PM. When I listened to the recorded message, I could tell from the flat affect in my sister-in-law's voice that something was terribly wrong with my brother. I was unable to reach her for two hours. Two very long hours. When I arrived at the hospital, I heard the news that has changed the lives of our entire family. Those were dire days. He's doing better now, but he hasn't fully recovered from the brain bleeds he had that day, and may never. But he's walking and talking, and working hard to retrain his brain. Short term memory is the area that has been compromised the most. I've paid much more attention to life this year, every little detail. It's so short, and it changes so quickly.

No comments: