Tuesday, January 22, 2008

What Abigail Knows

When we found Abigail in that wonderful little
garden shop in Asheville, NC, the owners were
reluctant to let her go, so we promised we wouldn't
change her name. She has graced several spots in our gardens; this is her new favorite. When I photographed her sitting here, I was amazed at
how well the weeds were doing. Why is it that I insist on growing those time-consuming perennials, when it's the weeds that are thriving? I suppose that anything beautiful takes work. Does that mean that weeds aren't creative? I've been busy doing some psychic weeding, and that's hard work, for sure. Digging out the dross, so the gold can shine through. Perhaps Abby is reminding me to be patient with the process. After all, she can feel what's going on underground.

Who says nothing grows
in winter? Abigail waits
in the weeds for Spring.

1 comment:

ginger said...

By the way, I LOVE the picture of you too!! You are so clever.
I have missed everyone!