Saturday, January 19, 2008

Frustration, thy name is technology

The sun is shining, albeit weakly. There's a strip of blue in the pale gray covering my view of the sky. I say "my view" because some of you are seeing the whole cosmos. That mine is obscured is fitting, because I've wasted the better part of the day trying to solve--once again--a printer problem. Now, I'm no techno-newbie--I've been fooling with this stuff since 1992--so I know at least half of what I'm doing. And I hate, hate, hate it when the know-it-alls leave out those little "minor" steps that they ASSume we all know. Why Apple would choose to omit the driver for my $750 laser printer (for which I just bought a new $135 toner cartridge) from their fancy-schmancy new OS and why HP chooses to leave out big important chunks in their firmware upgrade instructions I just can't fathom. The only reason I haven't thrown the printer out the upstairs window is that the only thing I hate more than Apple and HP right now is throwing $885 away. That and the fear that it might land on my favorite fern. Okay, enough ranting. Hopefully I'll feel better with that off my chest.

No comments: