Saturday, January 26, 2008

Boundaries



Does a fence keep something out, or something in? In the case of my dog, both. For the past 11 years, we've walked the boundary fence twice a day. He knows where his territory begins and ends. Not that that keeps him from slipping out when he wants to explore the other side. What does the fence do for me? A feeling of comfort, security, familiarity. I know where our land begins and ends. I expect that strangers, even neighbors, will respect the boundary and stay out unless they are coming in for a specific reason, like reading the electricity meter, delivering packages, or saying hello. The occasional dog or cat will stop in to visit. For them, fences are simply temporary glitches. The deer use them for exercise. This photo reminds me that I am ambivalent about my boundaries. If I wanted everyone and everything out, I would have chosen a different type of fence, not one with so many gaps. Do I want people in or out? Yes.

Fences
comfort
security
stay out
hello
visit
everyone
out
in

No comments: