Friday, February 6, 2009

In the Pines


Someone wrote that walking among pine trees reminds us that the way to success is inner peace, calmness, serenity - and letting one's spirit rise to touch the sky. I was thinking about this recently, while walking through our pine trees on a very cold and windy day. Under the canopy of the trees, I stood for a long time, just listening to the singing of the pine needles and feeling the strong power of these old friends. We planted (okay, he planted, but I helped) a grove of about 50 White Pines more than three decades ago, watering and pruning them over the years when needed. They have rewarded us with shade and a wind break from the weather, and a soft carpet underfoot. In cold and hot weather alike, we look forward to reaching "pine tree hill" when walking the dog, because the temperature is always 10-15 degrees better there. When they were small, our neighbor's grandchildren called it "the enchanted forest." It still feels enchanted to me, for it gives off a definite positive energy which reminds me to stop on my path and reach for the skies.

No comments: