Monday, February 2, 2009

Blue Sky in February

Yesterday I took time to notice the depth of blue in the winter sky. So often I take clear days for granted, or forget that we had them when it's gloomy or raining. Maybe looking back at the photo will remind me that we did have some beautiful weather.

Three trees participated in this photo. In the right foreground is a Sweet Gum. In the background is the Thorny Locust, whose thick brown seed pods help the deer and rabbits get through the winter, and whose long, hard thorns have punctured many a lawnmower tire. And reaching across from left to right in the foremost foreground, as if not to be ignored, are a few branches of the Willow Oak just behind the house. The two closest trees are where the birds wait their turns at the feeder or birdbath, giving us a chance to identify them.

The more I study this photo, the more I am astounded at the complexity of color, shape, and texture of the trees. The clear blue sky was simply a canvas, but provided the perfect contrast. Look again at only the negative spaces, or at the hundreds of small twigs. And finally, notice the "ham" of the skies, the ever-watchful Blue Jay, perched on a broken limb.

Clear day in winter
Uncovering surprises
Shadows and contrasts

3 comments:

ginger said...

nice shot Ellen!! Is that a Blue Jay at the bottom of the picture?

Poetnessa said...

Oh, I'm going to come back to your photo when we have a gray day here in Michigan! Today, thankfully, we did get some good sun. But not on the 2nd! I'm enjoying getting around to everyone's blogs now more. Now I just have to start writing in my own...

Anonymous said...

Hello Ellen

I'm looking at these again - wonderful new ways of looking at trees ... and sky! Coincidentally I posted about a tree being chopped down today...