Monday, May 4, 2009

White Amaryllis


This is the white amaryllis that I brought home from Mother’s condo before she died, almost ten years ago. She asked me to take it and the two red ones because she no longer wanted to tend to them. The only time the white one has bloomed since then was the year we heated the greenhouse over the winter. I guess it especially loved all the light coming through that glass room. Last summer I repotted the 3 bulbs into 4 pots. (One of the red ones had grown another bulb.) This one had hardly any dirt in the pot, so I guess it’s thanking us for taking care of it. They usually bloom in the carriage house during the winter, but this year--for some unknown reason--R. got it into his head that he wasn’t supposed to water them, so didn’t. One day in January or February I commented that I wondered why none of them had put out their usual leaves and asked if he’d watered. He said no, he didn’t think he was supposed to. Oops! So, once he started watering, they immediately responded. The red one in the background bloomed while we were in DC for the Poetry Therapy conference, but we got to see it at its peak because the dog sitter emailed us a picture. Nice!

No comments: