Saturday, January 1, 2011

Silly, silly, silly

What's the silliest thing you've ever done? (That you can admit to in public.)

Wait a minute. What's the difference between silly and stupid? I can remember lots of stupid things I've done in the past. Okay, recently, too. But silly? Silly = innocent fun, in my book. Something that makes me--and those around me--laugh, but causes no harm. Maybe I quit being silly when I became an adult. That's too bad, because I remember a lot of laughter when I was a kid.

My sister and I were silly frequently. Mother referred to us as "the silly sisters." Or maybe we gave ourselves that title. We were laughing tonight about singing songs from the album, "The Singing Nun" while we did the dishes after supper. We also played hide and seek with our cats. (The cats usually won.)

One of the silliest things I used to do was sing the purposefully off-key song about the baby prune. That worked well for me since I usually sang off-key anyway. Here are the lyrics as I remember them:

A baby prune is like his dad
'Cept he ain't wrinkled half so bad.
We have wrinkles on our faces--
Prunie has them every places.
No matter how young a prune may be,
He's always getting stewed.
Little seed inside of pru-in,
Is it night, or is it noo-in?
What 'ca doin', pru-in, stewin'?
Hmmm?

Haha. I sang that silly song so much, my friends called me Prunie. Now, that's silly!

3 comments:

Ellen Rust said...

PS--If you want to be silly, too, sign up for Carla Sonheim's online workshop, "Silly the Third." Click on the logo "I'm being silly with the Squeen" in the righthand column of this page for more information.

ginger said...

That is so very funny that you both sang from that album "The Singing Nun"....that made me laugh!! Thanks for the lyrics!! They are with out a doubt, silly!!! I plan to be silly with you in January and look forward to Silly 3!!!

Ellen Rust said...

I'm looking forward to being silly with you this month. Maybe we'll sing "Dominique" in French like my sister and I did. Haha. Here they are, so you can start practicing:

Dominique, nique, nique s'en allait tout simplement
Routier pauvre et chantant
En tous chemins, en tous lieux, il ne parle que du bon Dieu

Il ne parle que du bon Dieu

Complete lyrics here: http://www.lyricsmania.com/dominique_lyrics_singing_nun_the.html